Employment Opportunities with ICA
Position Description: Executive Director
Indo-Caribbean Alliance, Inc. (ICA) seeks an Executive Director who will be responsible for advancing the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic relationships. He or She will serve as primary spokesperson, fundraiser and as liaison to external partners and stakeholders. The Executive Director will oversee all staff and program volunteers within the organization to ensure that program objectives and priorities are achieved.
The mission of ICA is to unify and advance Indo-Caribbean and South Asian interests by fostering joint and collaborative actions among different peoples, organizations and businesses. With a booming population, especially in New York City, we act as a liaison and an advocate to government agencies, elected officials and other non-profit organizations to create specialized educational, social service and economic development programs.
Leadership & Management:
- Work with the Board of Directors to ensure the vision and strategic plan of the organization is carried forward as per the Mission Statement.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe environment for all staff, program volunteers and program attendees in accordance with all appropriate regulations.
- Coach and mentor staff and volunteers as appropriate to improve performance as a hands-on leader.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization's people (members, staff, management, Board, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Recruit, interview and select staff and volunteers that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization's mission.
- Work with the Board of Directors (Finance Committee) to prepare annual budget.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fundraising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization. Fundraising is seen as one of the key responsibilities of the Executive Director.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Ensure the organization complies with relevant legislation covering taxation and non-profit reporting.
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization's community profile.
- Communicate with staff and program volunteers to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, elected officials, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- Review and sign off on all outgoing communications to ensure it represents the vision, strategy and mission of the organization.
Planning & New Business:
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization's programs and services.
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization's mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality.
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Ensure that personnel, member, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained.
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Indo-Caribbean Alliance, Inc. mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Specific requirements include:
- Advanced degree with at least 3-5 years of management experience; track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
How to apply: Submit resume and cover letter to “Hiring Committee” at firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Queens, New York
Job Posting Date: 11/15/2016
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Reports to: Board of Directors